Monday, July 16, 2012

Broccoli, Celery and Spinach, Oh My!

I've survived Day 3 of this green veggie juice fast.

 

I haven't chewed any food since early Saturday morning - and that was cucumber, celery and a green apple.  I'm getting used to the system of washing and assembling an enormous pile of vegetable matter, grinding it to a pulp, and then watching it swirl into a stainless steel bowl, looking all green and frothy like a small pond overpopulated with algae.

Then, it's "gulp, gulp, gag, gulp" and all the healthiness flows down into my empty tummy, filling me with nutrients and micro-nutrients and super-vitamins and all that good stuff...

So, just to let you know, both myself and my husband have had little in the way of side-effects as are commonly described while doing a detox.  Some people have horrible headaches, nausea and stomach issues.  However, at most, both of us feel rather tired and more weak... and I had a slight headache on the evening of the first day, and more-so on the second day.  I have experienced no explosive bowel movements (so far), although I'm told that my body could take it's time on that one, as my system "cleans out" and detoxifies.

We have both lost a bit of weight - around 5-6 pounds each.  Whether that is actual body mass, or water weight, or shall we say "built up, undesirable sludge" - I'm not exactly sure.  But to be clear, neither of us went into this fast with "weight loss" on our list of priorities.  It's far more about a resting time for our digestive systems, a re-boot of our cravings and desires, and a re-tuning of our taste-buds to desire healthier foods.

I don't really feel hungry.  I might think of food, and feel a craving - and worse than that, if I'm making some food for my kids (like pizza), I end up salivating a lot and dreaming of when this journey will be complete.  But, for the most part, setting aside food for a few days has not been difficult.  I actually feel quite full when I've drank my 16 ounces of broccoli, celery, spinach, lemon, and cucumber juice.

The worst of it is the tiredness which has me heading to bed extra early, and wanting to nap in the afternoon.  When my head hits the pillow, visions of sugarplums (or maybe chocolate truffles, pizza and fried chicken - heck, even just a slice of bread) dance in my head.

Only 4 more days...

No comments:

Post a Comment