Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Healthy Chocolate Cake?

What started as an incredulous curiosity, is turning into a full blown week of experimental baking in my house!  My friend recently posted this recipe: Healthy Chocolate Cake With a Secret and said that this cake - made without flour and sugar - actually tasted good!  Not only that, but what was so freaky about this recipe used BEANS instead of flour!
Now, I've thought that I would never be one of "those people" who makes weird, healthy-tasting foods and pretends that they are as good as fattening, sugary treats, but I have been on the lookout for some sort of healthy breakfast alternative - like a breakfast bar, but something that is higher in protein and lower in sugar and wheat.  So I thought to myself that if I could modify this recipe, I might be able to make a carrot cake, apple cake, banana-loaf... the possibilities are endless.

But first... my modification of the "Healthy Chocolate Cake".  What makes mine different is that I used kidney beans and only added honey (no stevia) as a sweeter (not because I have any problems with stevia, but it can be a bit expensive and I don't have it in my cupboard).

Good to the last bite!

Yummy 'n Healthy Chocolate Cake

(makes a 9" cake)

Ingredients:
1 - 19oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
6 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup honey (heaping, generous cup, depending how sweet you like)
1 tsp vanilla
6 Tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking  powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

(variation: add 1/2 tsp almond extract and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to make a brownie-like cake?)

Pre-heat oven to 325*F

Use a 1/2 tsp of butter to grease the inside of  your cake pan - you can also dust it with sifted cocoa powder or use parchment paper.

Begin by blending the kidney beans and 4 of the eggs together in a medium bowl until there are no lumps and you make the bean skins as small as possible.  I have been using my Braun hand-blender and it works out, but perhaps a food-processor would be better.   Set aside.

In a large bowl, whip the butter and honey together until well blended.  Add the remaining 2 eggs, blending after each addition.  Next, add the vanilla, cocoa, salt, soda and baking powder and blend.

Then fold the bean mixture into the large bowl and mix until well blended.  Pour into your cake pan and tap the pan onto the counter to remove any bubbles.

Bake for 45 min until top of cake is rounded and firm. Cool for 10 minutes and turn out of the pan onto a rack if you would like to frost it.

It is recommended that you allow the cake to sit overnight as this might affect the bean taste, but we tried it as soon as it was cooled and thought it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment